This article describes how I built my set of Flames of War Soviet SU-85 with options to field the other Assault Guns (SU-85M and SU-100) with minimal investment (both, monetary and painting time). During the Carnage 2015 Flames of War Tournament it became obvious that my tank horde had too much artillery and didn’t packed a strong enough punch for the toughest tanks.
Battlefront was kind enough to sell the extra sprues so that you could build both the SU-85 and SU-100 by purchasing the Tank Killer Company and the extra sprues sold by Battlefront. See a review of the kit from WWPD.
The tracks can be shared among the different variants of the SU-85. Even without purchasing the extra sprues, you can make the SU-85 and SU-100 variants if you add a few magnets. I suggest 1/2″ x 1/8″ magnets on the tracks and 1/4″ x 1/16″ on the tops. Make sure the polarity of the magnets are aligned (preferably across your whole army, but certainly for these platoons you are building. You should use powerful neodymium magnets (found at ebay and amazon).
I used the extra sprues to get tops for the SU-100. After all is said and done you do end up with extra parts. You can keep buying more sprues for the other variants – however, I decided a different route. You can use the extra tops to make the SU-85M if you are willing to do extra work. I had to make the engine exhausts by making a mold and creating the parts – that was easy and required very little plastic. I use hobby silicone for my mold making activities. For the gun barrels I just used toothpicks cut to size. I think they came out well.
I am fielding these SU-85 beauties tomorrow – let’s see how they work for me.